Saturday, November 21, 2015

Kama Ayurveda : Organic Sweet Almond Oil


I would describe my skin as dry/dehydrated and sometimes flaky with sporadic bursts of acne. So my pursuit for an effective moisturizer is ever on. Before pregnancy my skin dryness was very manageable but during pregnancy it got out of hand and soon went downhill from there. I have tried everything from drugstore to high end brands but my skin never had the clarity & plushness I have desired!

During a recent visit to Kuwait, my cousin told me she often treated her skin dryness with almond oil and praised its efficacy. I however dismissed it thinking it just wasn't the solution to my skin troubles as I was under the impression that it would cause breakouts. Soon after my skin acted up real bad and I knew I had to step up my game. After much research, I decided to add Kama Ayurveda Sweet Almond Oil to my skin care routine because not only is it certified organic but also cold pressed.

While there are several commercially available almond oils, it is better to purchase organic cold pressed oils for skin care as far as possible. Organic, cold pressed oils are substantially more expensive than commercial oils but this is because these oils are produced by heating gently at low temperatures as excessive heat will kill the valuable elements in the oil (1). Additionally, they are processed without chemical extraction, and without solvents like hexane. 


There are two different kinds of almond oil – sweet almond oil and bitter almond essential oil. 

The oil used for therapeutic purpose is sweet almond oil, also sometimes called as pure almond oil, which is highly refined (3). Being non-comedogenic, it’s non greasy lubricant, medium-light with quick absorption rate so works well on the face and even on sensitive skin. Sweet or pure almond oil for face or skin acts as an emollient and is good for dry, flaky, irritated skin and for preventing skin spots (3).

Bitter almond oil doesn't have any cosmetic applications and is meant mostly for smell. 
 
KEY INGREDIENTS & THEIR BENEFITS
  • For Smooth, Flawless Skin: Almond oil is a mild, hypoallergenic oil rich in vitamin A,B & E that are essential in keeping the skin young and supple. Light in texture, the oil can easily penetrate deep into the skin, softening and dislodging the dirt and debris accumulated in the skin pores and hair follicles preventing blackheads and acne (1). The Vitamin A content in the oil may even help reduce acne flare-ups.
  • Reducing Fine Lines & Signs of Ageing:  Almond oil contains Vitamin E, which is one of the most potent antioxidants known. It can help repair some of the damage done to the collagen layer. The oil is especially rich in proteins, and can provide the amino acids required for the formation of collagen (3). External application of the oil can prevent dehydration by reducing moisture loss from the skin.
  • Skin Acne: Almond oil has fatty acids that dissolve sebum and impurities that cause acne and pimples (2). It also cleanses the skin pores and repairs damage to the skin, so can prevent occurrence of acne and pimples.
  • Lightening Dark Eye Circles: Pure almond oil is a natural solution for getting rid of under eye dark circles and puffiness of eyes, due to its anti-aging qualities (2). Kama Ayurveda's Sweet Almond Oil comes in a tinted plastic bottle(this is to prevent light having an effect on the phytonutrients) with a golden screw on lid. The bottle comes with a stopper to prevent any leaks making it a friendly travel companion. 
  • Hair Care: Sweet almond oil contains vitamin A, B and E in addition to omega 9, omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids that help keep hair strong and healthy, preventing against breakage (4). Sweet almond oil’s natural moisture-sealing properties help to replenish hair and also fight against split ends by holding moisture in hair for longer periods of time. Lighter than many other helpful oils, which makes it an excellent natural resource for leave-in protection; it is a perfect base for other helpful essential oils that may further moisturize the scalp, helping to fight off dandruff (4).




The oil is a light golden color with an almond"y" fragrance to it that disappears upon application.






During winters, I use the oil as a facial moisturizer (3-4 drops for my skin) but during the hot, humid summer months, I prefer it before my CTM routine. 
I have been using this oil for over 6 weeks now (predominantly on the face) and I definitely do see results. My skin tone has improved, fine lines under my eyes have reduced and in general the skin looks plumped. I never had prominent dark circles to begin with so I wouldn't be able to tell if it works on under eye circles. My acne scars (don't have too many of those either) seemed to have lightened, I have fewer blackheads and there certainly is a glow in the complexion which hasn't gone unnoticed 😊.  

This oil is a holy grail in my skin care routine, it quenches my skin with the moisture it craves!! I only wish I had tried it earlier!!

1 comment:

  1. First of all let me tell you, you have got a great blog .I am interested in looking for more of such topics and would like to have further information. Hope to see the next blog soon.
    NOW Sweet Almond Oil

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik